If you’re looking for things to do on vacation while in Ocean Isle Beach, there are tons of places, activities and attractions to keep you busy. But we’ve compiled some of the things you absolutely must see and do before you leave!
1. Our Beaches. The southern North Carolina Beaches are simply the best, they’ve been voted the third best beaches in the nation! Our powder white sand and calm surf are perfect for your family. Our beaches, unlike so many others on the east coast, and un-congested with high-rises and flashy beach shops everywhere the eye can see. This is the way the beach is supposed to be, so grab some beach chairs, build a sandcastle and relive the good ol’ days of relaxing sun filled days!
2. The Museum of the Coastal Carolinas. You might think who wants to visit a museum on vacation? But this is a museum different than others you may have been to.
Come learn about a world of sharks, sea turtles, surfing and more! The museum also offers summer camps and programs for kids. For more information about what’s going on at the museum visit http://museumplanetarium.org/
3. Free Summer Concerts. One of the best things about summer is taking any excuse to be outside! Every Friday, Ocean Isle Beach holds a free outdoor concert with some of the best beach music, rock and roll, oldies, and Motown around!
The concerts start at 6:30pm in the parking lot of the Museum of the Coastal Carolinas. Admission is free, just bring a chair and get ready to dance all night long!
4. Shopping Local. Take the time while you’re in Ocean Isle Beach to check out some of our local specialty shops!
We’ve got everything from unique boutiques, surf shops, and great gift shops.
For a great selection of local artwork, jewelry, and books check out Islands Art & Bookstore. Pick up a souvenir or two and see the best local art selection in the area.
You can also visit their online store IslandsArtStore.com.
5. Shallotte River Swamp Park & Outdoor Center
Take a majestic tour and explore the ecological benefits of this natural environment or indulge in one of the many action activities they have on hand at Shallotte River Swamp Park & Outdoor Center. You can choose from one of their three fun-filled activities or maybe do them all! Experience the area with our guided Zipline tours, climb on the Aerial Adventure Park, or relax and enjoy the Shallotte River on our Swamp Tour. For the more adventurous, climb to the top of the Main Tower and step off on their Quick Jump event. It is sensational! Visitors take in a variety of natural sights and sounds that encompass this beautiful region. This is the perfect combination of adventure seeking and ecological education. With something for all ages, these spectacular adventures and breathtaking views are all there waiting for you! The Shallotte River Swamp Park is located at 5550 Watts Road on the mainland section of Ocean Isle Beach, NC between the island and Hwy 17. https://www.shallotteswamppark.com
6. Silver Coast Winery. A great day trip for the adults, not only does Silver Coast Winery produce all its own wines in house, but it also has its very own vineyard right outside. Come enjoy a relaxing afternoon with a wine tasting, take a tour of the vineyards and the barrel room, enjoy the gift shop with local art, and take in the scenery on the front porch with a nice glass of something from the coast. Even take home a bottle or two with you! Silver Coast is a great way to spend an afternoon!
7. Stand Up Paddle Boarding. Grab a board and a paddle and hit the Intracoastal Waterway. If you don’t know how you can take lessons from local surf company Carolina School of Surf. They’ll take you on a guided tour of the waterway, a calm body of water that separates the mainland and beachside of Ocean Isle Beach. Paddling through canals and sloughs, SUP’ers will be immersed in the natural beauty of the North Carolina coast. Paddle boarding is the fastest growing water sport in the country, offering a great exercise for the active soul, and is great for all ages and skill levels. You can rent all of the equipment from them or bring your own!
8. Take a Ghost Tour. Did you know Ocean Isle Beach has ghosts? Come and hear about forgotten Civil War battles, haunted trains, lost ships, ghost planes, lights that baffle scientists, whiskey smugglers, haunted plantations, amazing apparitions, legends of lost treasure, and haunted houses, all here on Ocean Isle Beach! This one mile guided walking tour through the old haunts of Ocean Isle Beach will send a shiver up your spine! Tours take place on Wednesdays and Thursdays and go from Memorial Day through Labor Day, and pick up again in October for Halloween. Tours meet at the Ocean Isle Beach Pier, and ticket are $10 each, children ages 5 and under are free. For more information visit the OIB Ghost Walk website.
9. Putt Putt Golf. One of our favorite summertime activities is playing a round of putt-putt golf. Show your friends and family who the best golfer is with at the Ocean Isle Beach River County Putt-Putt Course. Located directly across the Ocean Isle Beach pier, you can’t miss this fun activity when you’re going to the beach.